TAIPEI: ASIAN WINDIEST WAVE SPOT

In late Oct 06, heard Taipei had strong wind for whole 2 months, while the wind in HK was not that good. With such a short distance, I wonder why such a huge difference and not that convinced & want to check it out. Windguru forecast was surprisingly good in Siafu. So I made up my mind & went to Chunan for a week just by myself. In only few days of preparation, I even got myself a 9m kite just the night before going there!

Went there in early morning flight, "Ah Tou" picked me up at the airport, with ~ 1 hr drive, I was at the Tony's club, the SpotXSport. Wow, v impressed that it just looks like maui over there, both the environment & the wind. So happy that I had made a right decision. And I soon got into the water with my 9m xbow at around 2pm. Just a v short walking distance fr the Spot to the beach:

Luckily there is a solid log on the beach so I could tied up for self-launching & landing when the tide is high...

Chunan is the best for NE wind (side-on shore), if towards E, it will be rather gusty (not gd for kiters, ok for windsurfer as u can go further for clearer wind) and side-shore. One day, the wind towards east. It's only 10+knots in Chunan. There was a gentleman fr HK who took me to the windiest spot in Taipei for the Easterly, GuanYin.
After ~30 mins drive, Ooo, 30+ knots. Many windsurfers & two kiters there but back to shore cos of overpower. "Is dead is dead" I went out for 2 hrs, just crazzzy. Later a westen guy also went out with his 8m GK Sonic...




GuanYin like a desert, nothing there. But what impressed me is that, in the weekend, they would arrange hot food, soup, beer and water for shower. Good.


The local windsurfers usu eat dinner together after enjoying the wind/wave (Ooo,many of them are fabulous wave sailor, back loop, cut back bottom turn, not a problem...), then back to the spot and drink till late. Tony is a v nice guy, he will take gd care of u, no worries for accommodation (rooms at Spot, HK$100/person/day), food, drink, entertainment. He likes party. During the wk, they party for 2-3 nights for the Halloween just at the spot.
I had full 7 days of kitesurfing over there with average 20+ kts wind (windguru archive), with few days ~10 rolls of nice wave (that they can do >3 bottom turn). Next time I will definitely bring a 6m kite and a surfboard!!!
May/June/July will also be good for SW wind, check windguru (usu underestimate for NE, add 5-10 knots more) before deciding the exact date to go, I suggest. Watch out for higher wave in Dec & Jan, they said! Gd luck and send my warmest regards to Tony, Cheers. BTW, I plan to go there at least 2 times this yr!
The trip cost me 2K+ only as the ticket is free. No reason not to go more...
PS: One of my friends went there in Dec with his 12m, turned out waiting for the whole trip hoping for lighter wind! Better bring 6-8m kite if U go in Autumn/Winter (NE) or Summer mid-Jun to mid-July (SW)...


Getting back to shore briefly at Chunan 20+ knots with 9m xbow (Oct 06)