PERTH: WHAT A WONDERFUL CITY


G'day mate. I went to Perth, Western Australia, in early Feb 07 for 10 days. It's my most ideal place to live (next to Maui). As the wind usu pick up in noon & getting stronger in the afternoon, then gradually weaker when getting dark at 8:30pm. That means u can enjoy kiteboarding even afterwork. So u can work hard, then play hard. The wind is waiting for u, no worries, just terrific!
The best season is Nov- Mar. I have tried kiteboarding in different locations as suggested by WAKSA. It's really amazing as u can choose either flat or wavy, shallow or open sea, all in 10-45 mins drive!!! Usually S or SW wind.
During the 8 available days, I used 9m for 4 days, and 13m for 2 days. The other 2 days were not that good! I heard and read fr the record that the wind in Dec/Jan should be more constant and stronger, so as the wave!

If u go in a group, I advise u to rent apartment (mine facing sunset at a v popular beach at ~HK$700 daily can accommodate 6 persons). For sure u need a car! Excellent food and heaps of shopping (for your ladies) and other things to do. I reckon Perth is closer, cheaper, more colourful than Maui. Worthwhile for a visit.
PS: Special thanx to Pete who gave me the 07' 13m Tribal and the F-one Legend surfboard to me for a "test" in the trip (as my last 12m Xbow were damaged, and the new Eclipse kite & skywalker boards had not arrived yet!).

Here are the places
where I was kitesurfing:

Pelican Point (1st photo on the right): Close to the city & over the swan river, v shallow for ~200m. Good for learning/beginner.

Brighton Beach (2nd & 3rd): Popular for wave-riding (not good during my trip). On few occasions I was kitesurfing with ~50 kites along 10+km coastline, it's the most popular site for the locals & my most frequently visited one.

Woodies East & South Beaches (4th): If the wind direction is not that normal, then here is perhaps the best as there are 3 beaches facing different directions. That day was 25+kts S on-shore at East beach!

Safety Bay (5 & 6th): As the name says, vvv safe. The north end is v shallow (can walk to the opposite outer bay). And vv long so as other beaches...

Melville Beach (7 & 8th): Close to the city & by the swan river (opposite to pelican pt). Just another shallow and flat condition. Usually side-shore. Another 9m day!






Taken by locals at Perth...